Thursday, October 8, 2015

Hot Milk Cake

It's been more than two months since I last shared a recipe. My husband and I have finally settled down well in our birth country. But I must say the hot and humid weather here is still unbearably hard to accept. With the haze from our friendly neighbouring country, I hope it's just a matter of time before we re-adapt to the weather and get some fresh air.

Every time I look out of the window, I can't help but miss the bright blue sky and clean breathing air back at the sunshine state. As I recall how reluctant I was when I was clearing up, especially the stuff in the fridge before we left for good, I realised I have this unpublished recipe which I had made out of my ever-lasting bottle of milk. For some reasons, I was never able to finish the bottle of milk lying in the fridge before its expiry. 

To prevent such wastage, I have been in search of a recipe that could use up my leftover milk. As the name of this recipe suggests, this cake is made out of heated milk. This cake is dense yet unusually soft and moist. Perfect to be enjoyed anytime during the day! ^_^


To celebrate the newfound usage of leftover milk lying in the fridge, I am pleased to share this Hot Milk Cake with Our Growing Edge (October 2015) hosted by me! Genie of Bunny Eats Design, founder of this monthly blog event that aims to connect food bloggers and inspire us to try new things has given me the honour to host this month's edition. October 2015's Our Growing Edge runs from now till 31st October 2015. Do head over to this link here and join us in sharing your food-related experiences!


In addition, I would also like to share this recipe with blog event, No Waste Food Challenge (October 2015) organised by Elizabeth of Elizabeth's Kitchen Diary and hosted by Kate of Veggie Desserts this month. Say No to future milk wastage!


Hot Milk Cake
Recipe referenced and modified from: Taste of Home
Serves about 12

Ingredients Required

4 eggs
2 cups sugar
1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
2 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
2 1/4 teaspoons baking powder
1 1/4 cups milk
10 tablespoons unsalted butter, cubed

Bakeware Used

8-inch by 8-inch square pan or 13-inch x 9-inch baking pan (recommended)

Preparation Steps
  1. Sift flour and sugar together and set the dry mixture aside.
  2. In a large bowl, beat eggs using an electric hand mixer on high speed for 5 minutes or until thick and lemon yellow in colour. 
  3. Gradually add sugar, beating until mixture is light and fluffy. 
  4. Beat in vanilla extract.
  5. Gradually add the dry mixture to the batter; beating at low speed until batter is smooth with no lumps. 
  6. In a small saucepan, heat milk and butter until butter is just melted. Slowly add the milk mixture to the batter and continue beating until well combined.
  7. Pour batter into a greased baking pan. (Note: Pouring the batter slowly can help to remove the air bubbles).
  8. Bake in the preheated oven for approximately 40 to 45 minutes (if using a 8-inch by 8-inch square baking pan, or bake for 30 to 35 minutes if using a 13-inch by 9-inch baking pan), or until a toothpick inserted near the centre comes out clean. 
  9. Once baked, remove from oven and let cake cool in pan for about 15 minutes. Run a thin knife around the edges of the cake and invert cake over a wire rack to let cool completely.
  10. To serve, cut off the sides of the cake. Invert cake over a cake board or serving plate. Slice into desired thickness and serve.
The Dream Baker's Experiment
  1. I used large eggs weighing approximately 60 grams each (with shell on), white granulated sugar and 2% reduced fat milk in my above recipe.
  2. I used an 8-inch by 8-inch square baking pan for my baking experiment, which yielded a cake height of approximately 2 inches. 
  3. I baked my bake in the second lowest rack of the oven for 45 minutes.
Cutting off a thin slice of the edges exposes a pretty sight of the cake!

Perfect with a cuppa milk!

Dare to dream.
The Dream Baker

5 comments:

  1. That's a lovely idea - finally something very pleasing to do with my leftover milk.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a fantastic way to use up leftover milk! Thanks for sharing with the No Waste Food Challenge.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Such a lovely sounding cake! I bet this would hold icing very well for a decorated birthday cake too! Thank you for sharing with the #nowastefoodchallenge!

    ReplyDelete